Monday, March 05, 2007

Already Tired of Today Again

I've recently changed my morning routine. For the past three or four years, I've been turning on the Bose Wave Radio and listening to 1050 ESPN Radio here in the New York listening area every single morning. Mainly, I did it because I wanted to hear sports talk in the mornings and also because a few years ago I got sick of morning television like Today. They were getting lazy, in my opinion, and their "stories" were things that weren't topical or current and then there were awful things like their weddings in the Fall. They became annual events wherein we had to hear about the potential couples, the dresses, the locations, the cakes, how whipped the husband was, etc. I mean, you're willing to get married on the Today show?? That's lame.

But now I'm back to the Today show because ESPN radio became completely intolerable. I'd say I've been back on Today about two weeks or so. And I'm already pissed at them.

This morning, leathery-looking Meredith Viera (age 53), got all hot and bothered about the topic of "hooking up," mainly because she has teenaged kids. What continues to piss me off about this stuff is that they're always late to the game. Like, twenty years late to the game. This reminds me of the time a few years ago when Katie Couric got some kids in a room and asked them what "friends with benefits" meant (she even used the air quotes, as I recall). You're asking about hooking up and what it means now? What continued to piss me off was the way Viera simply dismissed the 1960s and 1970s sexual revolution (when casual sex was extremely frequent) because she said, "But that had a political undertone to it."

Hey, Meredith, justify it however you want, you old fart, but the reality is that your generation was just as whorish as any other generation. It's just that it's talked about more these days and women who are willing to have sex aren't always labeled sluts anymore.

Casual sex is not a new phenomenon. As I said, it went on long ago and has continued to go on... there was even a movie with the title in 1988. That was nineteen years ago! It's not a new concept!

But anyway, I let that go after much consternation on the set of Today as Meredith made disapproving faces on the subject. Then they moved on to someone who ("amazingly," they kept insisting) had a 93-pound tumor that she didn't know about!

Well, if you think that she had to be a 500-lb monster in order for a 93-pound tumor to not be discovered...well, you'd be right!

I mean, it's fantastic that a doctor finally felt something wasn't right and that there had to be more to it than her simply being a fat slob and accurately detected the ovarian cist. But still... maybe if you weren't quite so abjectly disgusting and could fit into an MRI machine, they could have detected the tumor sooner. It's hard to hide a nearly 100-pound tumor... unless you're the size of a Buick.

The good news is, the Tulsa hillrat is down to 360 lbs (at age 32) so things are looking up. She might actually live to 40 before her heart gives out. Good news!

All-in-all, hard-hitting news from the #1 morning show in America.

Labels: , ,


Comments:
mount rushmore on the last one and industtrial caulk on this post....interesting tags.

SOmetimes I think Matt Lauer wants to take a frying pan and just smack Viera in the face....it doesn't seem like a warm fuzzy relaitonship between them.
 
You said that about Matt and Katie, too.
 
and look what happened.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?