Wednesday, April 25, 2007

NTR NHL Second Round Fun (The Nobody Cares Edition)

Hey, it's the second round of the playoffs and the Rangers are actually still alive! Which means that my predicitions about the East are still subject to major bias. Of course, I did pick them to win their series and win it they did, in dominant fashion. Interestingly (to me, at least), I also picked every other series winner correctly except for one. So 7 for 8 in the first round isn't too bad. Let's see if I know what I'm talking about in the second round.

Western Conference

(1) Detroit Red Wings versus (5) San Jose Sharks - The Red Wings took six games to eliminate the Flamers in the first round but they absolutely dominated the series, outshooting the Flames by more than 20 per game on average. This, coupled with how good San Jose is, is causing many to pick the Sharks for the upset. While I really do think this could happen, I also think Detroit is playing way better than people realize. It'll be a long series and home ice will help. Red Wings in 7.

(2) Anaheim Ducks versus (3) Vancouver Canucks - The Canuckleheads were the only team I had wrong in the first round and they almost proved me right. They had a 3-1 series lead on Dallas and gave it all back and were tied 1-1 in the third period of Game 7 when they finally put it away. Anaheim is a lot better than Dallas. In fact, Anaheim was one of the best teams in the league for most of the season. They'll make quick work of the Canucks but I can see Vancouver goalie Roberto Luongo stealing them a game or two. Ducks in 6.

Eastern Conference

(1) Buffalo Sabres versus (6) New York Rangers - Advantages for New York: the season is now a success, having stormed to the second round; being the underdog makes less pressure on them; they're playing the best hockey they've played all season; Buffalo has that pressure of being expected to win it all. Disadvantages? Buffalo is really, really freakin' good. The Sabres took all four games between the two this season, though three went to overtime and the last one between them was December 1. A lot has changed since then, especially for the Rangers. I swore when things started that I would pick honestly and try to use my brain and not my heart. I do definitely think thre Rangers could win this series and it wouldn't shock me if they took it in 5 or 6 with the way they're playing. However, from what I saw of Buffalo, they're just too fast for almost anyone and I said months ago that the only teams I truly feared in the Eastern Conference were Buffalo and New Jersey. I think the two teams will split the first four games, with each winning one on the other's home ice. And I think it'll come down to the Rangers needing one more home game in this series and they won't have it. Sabres in 7.

(2) New Jersey Devils versus (4) Ottawa Senators - The Devils and Marty Brodeur looked somewhat beatable in the first round, even trailing 2 games to 1 to Tampa. However, Marty got his act together and shut down the Lightning for the next three games. I don't know if he can do that against Ottawa. Much like last year, I think the Devils will lose their edge in the second round and I continue to maintain that Brodeur playing 78 games this season was far too many. The Senators took care of the up-and-coming Penguins in the first round and did so fairly convincingly. Let's hope that gave them some confidence. The only problem is, if Brodeur shuts them out in Game 1 and thoroughly frustrates them, this could all be for nothing and the Devils could then run them over. Still, I don't think it'll happen that way. Senators in 6.

Oh, and from the optimism department, I got my Rangers Stanley Cup Finals ticket invoice yesterday. I guess advancing one round in the playoffs justifies preparing for the Finals. Nothing like jinxing yourselves. And, naturally, the tickets for the Finals would be triple my regular season price.

Naturally, I faxed in my payment info first thing this morning. Hey, you never know.

Labels: , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?