Friday, April 13, 2007

A Victory!

Well, it's about damn time. The Rangers took Game One of their first-round series last night against the Atlanta Thrashers 4-3. More importantly, they actually won a playoff game for the first time in almost ten years. Ten freakin' years.

It was May of 1997 and I was still in college. Then they didn't make the playoffs again until last year and then, last year, they got swept and I was at all four games. So last night was the first Rangers playoff game I've watched on TV since May of '97, and I remember watching the game from Harry's Chocolate Shop (note: not actually a chocolate shop) in West Lafayette, Indiana because my new apartment didn't have cable yet.

Some perspective? Well, the Rangers current goaltender, Henrik Lundqvist, was 14 years old. Wayne Gretzky was on the team, playing alongside Mark Messier for their one year together in New York. Oh, and Gretzky was just 36 and still had a couple more years to go.

The Yankees had won only one World Series since 1978; they had yet to go on their three-in-a-row run from '98-'00.

I was 21 years old. I've been to probably 75-100 games in person in between playoff wins.

As though I didn't have enough stress on me watching them in the playoffs, I added some wages to the night. One was whether or not Michael Nylander would have an assist in the game for the Rangers. I was getting good odds and I was confident he would come through...and he did, with one goal and two assists. I also took the "over" on goals scored in all NHL playoff games last night. There were four games and the over/under was 22.5 -- 25 were scored. So yeah, go me.

Game 2 is Saturday afternoon and then Games 3 and 4 are back to back on Tuesday and Wednesday nights at the Garden. You know where I'll be for those.

Labels: , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?