Thursday, August 16, 2007

Completing My Musical Wishes

When I was a kid, I definitely liked music. However, for some reason, I was never into going to concerts. Part of this was probably that my parents were rather protective of us and as a result, we didn't go to concerts, Great Adventure, Action Park, etc. Whenever something bad happened at one of these places and it was reported in the newspaper, this only served to further cement the rules.

I don't really remember for sure when the first concert I attended was. I do know that in 1992, Genesis was touring after the release of the "We Can't Dance" album and my good friend Xtrosity had a ticket available for me. Alas, I was a sophomore in high school and had an exam the next day (this was June, I guess) and my dad simply wouldn't allow it. And then Genesis more or less disbanded. Well, shit.

Well, they've finally decided to tour again and they'll be in NYC at Madison Square Garden on September 25 and Watersyne and I will be there.

Another band I loved as a kid and grew to love even more when I was in high school was Def Leppard. I always had said that the top three bands I wanted to see in concert were 1) Van Halen, 2) Genesis and 3) Def Leppard. I managed to see Van Halen (with Sammy) a few years ago as well as the tour in 2002 when Sammy and Dave managed to sort of co-exist enough to collect millions of dollars and sing Van Halen music to us without anybody really named Van Halen backing them up. And as I said above, we'll be seeing Genesis in about a month.

Last night, we managed to see Def Leppard (who also brought along Stix and Foreigner) and it was pretty damn cool. Sure, they're old and don't quite sing the songs the same way anymore, but hell, DL formed thirty years ago and some of those hits were chart-toppers in 1983. So it was pretty awesome. Pour Some Sugar On Me was, of course, among the best-received songs since absolutely everybody knows it, although Photograph was also very highly revered. I was actually a bit disappointed that my favorite DL song, Let's Get Rocked, wasn't played. Weird.

So just this morning, I decided to check out Pollstar to see, by chance, if there was any news about Van Halen touring again someday. It's often rumored but that's such a dysfunctional band that you never know. Well, amazingly, this past Monday they agreed to reunite -- with David Lee Roth -- and tour North America starting in late September. They'll even be in the NYC area right around my birthday.

Hell yeah. Party like it's 1984, yo.

Labels: , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?