Thursday, November 01, 2007

Giddy Up!

So what's the news? For those of you who actually drop by here to read up on me... well, the few of you who do probably already know this. But Watersyne and I are officially on the move. We'll be moving over the next couple months to the great state that thinks it's its own country -- Texas.

Some people I highly respect at work came to me and asked me to take on a new role in Houston, one with greater responsibility and the potential to vault me forward in my career. It was the right opportunity at the right time in my life. Oh, and they also agreed to pay me more. And promote me. And it doesn't snow there and we could afford a much bigger house. With that, Watersyne was on board.

I went and checked things out in August and then my lovely sweet pea came down in September. We enjoyed ourselves and decided it was something we could do. We went back a few weeks ago and looked at endless houses and ultimately settled on one larger than we were even looking for. But it's brand-new (still being built, in fact) and so we'll be the first owners. Kind of exciting, going from a 75-year-old shanty to a zero-year-old beautiful home. So for those who've made fun of me for having a house the size of most people's garages, well... I'll think of something witty to say.

Downsides of Houston include the fact that it's often in the path of hurricanes. Of course, they usually only destroy Galveston and then are downgraded to tropical storms or less by the time they march the 50 miles inland to Houston. It's also hellaciously hot in July/August in Houston -- but really, the average temp is only like 93 at that time of year which isn't a whole lot higher than here in NJ.

Speaking of average temps, the average high in February is 67. For those of us from the Northeast, that sounds almost impossible. And I'll truly believe it when I see it and don't have to wear a jacket when I head out the door each day. Oh, golf game, you had better improve. No excuses anymore!

Other perks include the aforementioned golf game -- we'll be living about a mile from the golf course that I plan to join. Will I play more than my 10-15 rounds per year average? Hell yes, I better. With a brandy-new house that doesn't need constant home projects, I think I'll be feeling like a retiree. Oh, well, except for the sixty hour work week thing. There's always that.

We'll also be living in the suburbs of the fourth-largest city in the country. Did you know that? Houston is fourth, following New York, Los Angeles and Chicago. Pretty cool. Houston is also known as the most air conditioned city in the country, according to Wikipedia, so you know it's true.

I found it interesting that nobody has basements in Houston. I wondered about that until I learned that the city is about 45 feet above sea level. Oh, I see. That wouldn't work so well now, would it.

It's smoggy like LA but not nearly as overcrowded or obnoxious. It reminds me of a place like Atlanta -- nobody's from there. It's not what you think of when you think of Texas: gun racks, cowboy hats, etc. That's Dallas. Houston is a very transient city with lots of young people and and amazing amount of things to do. We're really pretty excited about it.

So that's the news from our end. This move and huge flux in our lives has prompted my lovely wife to consider launching a blogsite of her own. I think that would be outstanding and I hope she does. Lord knows she'll probably post more frequently than I do. Or maybe that will change as we'll have all sorts of new stories to talk about.

Either way, onward and upward.

Labels: , ,


Comments:
Will you swap your NY Rangers for the TX Rangers?

Sounds like a great opportunity and exciting change for both you and your wife. Congrats and best of luck!!

-Kim
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?