Monday, January 28, 2008

Big-Ass TVs

So despite all the bitching for not posting, I get a lot of content up there and I get one positive comment from NicHul (thanks!) and one about my wife's ass (nice!) ... and that's it? All that work? What do you think I do this for your entertainment? Or maybe that's all that's reading. Probably, actually. Maybe I should start letting more people know it exists. And then get fired.

Last week, I finally went to buy our new TV for the Texas house (yes, since I still own the NJ house I have to specify -- you'll understand when you're a high-rolling, multi-homeowner like we are) because, well, it's time. We were still watching the 32-incher that was in the living room of the dollhouse we lived in up in NJ and it was just silly. The 32 looked ludicrously small in our big living room here. In fact, my mom came to visit for the weekend and when she came in and saw it, she couldn't believe it was the same TV from home. And we found ourselves laughing at how silly it looked. So there you go, it was time.

So I went to this Houston-area electronics place called Conn's (heh, insert own joke here) because we'd heard their prices were unbeatable and we keep getting flyers from them in the Sunday paper. And, well, their deals are hard to believe. And I don't think this stuff fell off a truck because, you know, this isn't Jersey.

I went in there saying I wanted between 46 and 52 for our living room and I preferred LCD or DLP -- not plasma. Sorry, plasma loyalists, but when your TV burns out in five years, I'll be laughing at your asses.

I ended up settling on a 46-inch Sharp Aquos, which is just a terrific television. Of course, once you're in the giant store and you see 58, 61, 65, 70 and 73-inch TVs, you begin to second-guess yourself and think that maybe 46 isn't big enough.

Oh, it's big enough. I can't even imagine what those other sizes would look like in our house, but I do plan to find out. The 61 and 65 inch DLPs were actually less money than the 46-inch LCD Aquos, but there are all sorts of legit reasons for that (LCD costs more, better viewing angles, more features, etc.). I can't tell you how close I came to getting both the 46 and a 65 incher for our upstairs bonus room. But then I wasn't sure I wanted to come home and explain that decision to Watersyne. She's very understanding -- and she, too, wants a big TV upstairs -- but even so, we had agreed to do one at a time and if I came home with an order sheet for two deliveries, I probably wouldn't be allowed to go out and shop alone anymore for these kinds of things.

Anyway, so I resisted the huge temptation and got just the 46. And it looks amazing in the living room. And so now, the downstairs living room is only missing an end table and a coffee table and once that's done, it'll be pretty much completely set. The bedroom furniture is finally being delivered today and so the downstairs is coming together nicely. The guest rooms upstairs are even done (minus wall-hangings, but that's true everywhere in the house) so the next steps are making the garage have space for our cars and then, on to the bonus room/media room.

Sweet.

Labels:


Comments:
I REALLY want you to put up the giant utensiles fromt he model home. They were cool! Plus, think of the omelette you could make!

and, uh, hey, thanks for posting.
 
Yes, yes, you want the big utensils, you want the soccer ball room... you got lots of requests, mister. Get your ass down here and we'll see what we can do.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?