Tuesday, January 01, 2008

On The Road Again, Part III

We stopped for the night on Friday night, 12/28, in some podunk location known as McComb, Mississippi. We stopped because there were hotels. Basically, between Memphis and McComb, we hadn't had to slow down. I'm not even kidding. Mississippi is another of those states where you just set the cruise control and lock in. Interstate 55 just runs straight for a couple hundred miles with the only variation being slight uphills and downhills.

We passed through the capital of Mississippi and the only "major" city they have, Jackson, and there's honestly nothing there. I was kind of shocked. I mean, I know it's the South and I know their cities aren't what we're used to in the North but, come on... there was nothing there. Basically, it was like passing through one of those areas on an Interstate in the middle of nowhere where a bunch of chain restaurants and hotels spring up and there are all those mile-high signs that look like trash. So I guess that's all there is in Jackson. Chain restaurants and hotels. It's basically a glorified truck stop. How depressing. And to think, the kids who grew up in McComb think that's the "big city."

So we got up on Saturday morning, 12/29 and away we went. We were both craving a Waffle House, which are prevalent in the South, so that's what we began looking for. The nearest one was twenty miles but it was in the direction we were heading... which is to say, even further South.

We found the Waffle House and Watersyne felt like she should turn her diamonds around to the inside of her hand because she was truly afraid. And she probably is the wise one between the two of us because I'm kind of oblivious and just sit down and enjoy myself wherever we are. I like to pretend I blend in with the people but I'm not sure we really blended well with our tinted out, NJ-plated car in a random burg in Louisiana.

Ah, yes, Louisiana. One of the more interesting places to drive. We got about as far South as the Interstate would take us without running us into New Orleans and then we turned Westbound on I-10. I-10 takes you all the way across the country to Los Angeles, I believe. And, well, building the interstate there in southern Louisiana was clearly a trick. See, it's as much of a swamp as you've heard and a lot of areas are simply names "Something something" swamp. Like "Jackson Swamp" or something like that. Only most of the names are creole/French-sounding and it looks like the kind of place you'd catch malaria if you ventured outside your car. And then, before you know it, the interstate becomes an elevated highway. Have you ever seen the seven mile bridge to the Florida keys? Well, that's sort of what it reminded me of. The highway is literally just on stilts about 40 feet above swampwaters. It's kind of gross and eerie. I mean, a bad wreck and you're off the side... fortunately not a long fall, but you land in muck that probably would suck you down. And God KNOWS what lives in that shit. Good lord. And that's the way back to New Orleans so whenever we do that road trip, we'll get to see it again. I can only imagine how lovely that muck is in the summertime heat.

After a while more in Louisiana, we finally hit the Texas border. And you get a grip on how large Texas is when you see the first mileage sign that says, "EL PASO 880." 880 freakin' miles to El Paso. Want perspective? You can drive from New York to Chicago... in less!

So we pulled into the immediate welcome center and took some goofy pics in front of the "Welcome to Texas" sign and met other people doing the same thing. The welcome center was actually one of the nicest ones I've ever seen. And then it was back into the car for the final haul down to H-town.

We finally rolled into town at about 5:30 that evening and our journey was over. And as much as I like road trips, I'm not sure if going that far is worth it unless you're moving like we were. I kept thinking that if we came home for a longer period sometime -- like two weeks or more -- that I'd drive it so we would have a car there and could bring whatever we want, etc. But 1,800 miles is a long-ass haul. We'll see what happens.

So we're back, and we're getting settled into our beautiful house that we love. Stay tuned for more "Tales from Texas." And in the meantime, enjoy our picture show below.

Don't tell Pennsylvanians... but we're all independent. And how perfect is it that there's a pickup truck in this shot? Too bad it's not also in the left lane doing 50 MPH.


If you can't read it, the West Virginia welcome sign says, "Open for business." Well, good to know. I guess they're really eager for everyone to know they're not closed, so come on in! I can just imagine how this came about: "Wait, why is everyone leaving? Wait, come back! Hey.. hey! Hey! We're open for business, I tell you! Wait, I've got it! Put that on the welcome sign and watch 'em flow right in!"


Maryland keeps it simple. "Enjoy your visit." Okie dokie. As long as your troopers don't stop me, I'll have enjoyed my visit. Now go away.


"Virginia welcomes you." Really? That's kind of broad, isn't it? What if I'm a complete prick who plans to commit crimes in your state? Does Virginia still welcome me? Speaking of which, Virginia is one of two places in the U.S. where radar detectors are illegal. Thus, I do not welcome Virginia.


Tennessee welcomed us, too. And they're the volunteer state. I don't have any jokes to make here.

Mississippi: "It's like coming home." Um, if you live there, I guess. And, you know, haven't realized you're allowed to leave yet.


This was the cool "Welcome to Louisiana" sign but we couldn't get a clear shot. The fact that I was doing 85 MPH probably didn't aid in the photography. But trust me, it was cool. And it had the welcome message in French right underneath it which is kind of neat. Not that I want French influence in our country, but the fact that there is still a gutteral form of French spoken in Louisiana is kind of quaint.


We took this one at the welcome center so we had one in focus. It'll do.


We've made it! The Welcome to Texas sign says "Drive friendly - the Texas way." On the back it says, "...or we'll shoot you dead."


Home sweet home.

Labels: ,


Comments:
nice ass sticking out of the car at the new homestead (thats what they call em in tejas, right?)
 
Are you commenting on my wife's ass?

Actually, I'm rather fond of it, too.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?