Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Valentine's Day Is Tomorrow

You know, one of the many perks of being a married man is the fact that, while there are still expectations on Valentine's Day, the stress largely evaporates once you put a ring on her finger.

See, Valentine's Day is stupid, made-up holiday cultivated by Hallmark and 1-800-Flowers, or so I would imagine. I tend to agree with those who ask why we need a special day to tell those important to us how much they mean. To me, it's kind of like celebrating your life on a birthday or the new year on 12/31 -- why only celebrate those things on those specific days?

But I'm digressing, as usual. The best Valentine's Days for me are happening now and will continue to happen. You know why? Because I only need to make one woman smile on Valentine's Day. I don't have to worry that some girl I might sort of possibly have a thing with is expecting flowers to arrive on her doorstep. I don't have to deal with the pressure people put on about getting engaged on that day. Those sorts of things.

I remember last year, we went on a Circle Line Cruise around Manhattan. It was dinner and dancing and alcohol... and there was no stress because we were already engaged. Watersyne and I even enjoyed looking around to try to find the nervous guys about to propose. Not us! Just out for a fun dinner!

I remember back in college, I used to send out cards on Valentine's Day the way most people send cards around Christmas. That is, I would send a Valentine's Day card to every girl in my life that could have potential, did have potential, once had potential, etc... you get the point. I distinctly remember shopping for literally like a dozen cards and then writing out each one thoughtfully and then sending them off to all these chicks I thought I had a chance with. To be fair, I probably did have a chance with a good number of them.... I mean, who among us hasn't strung a girl along at some point in their lives? And what better way than being "thoughtful"? I mean, she could be writing you off, but then she gets that thoughtful card with handwritten thoughts... and boom, you're back in the game. Sure, it's a little shady, but let's all remember that we are all shady when we're college-aged. Especially dudes.

But I mean it when I say the best Valentine's Days for me are happening now. No more wondering if I'm going to be alone for this stupid, meaningless holiday. And no more wondering if I made the right choice of "dates" for Valentine's Day. Nope, there's just one woman for me on V-Day and we're contractually obligated by the laws of the state of New York to be with one another.

And hey, if I don't get her a nice gift, what's she gonna do? Go out with someone else? I don't think so.

Labels: ,


Comments:
But I did get a good gift...My husband flew my sisters to TX for a weekend just because I was feeling a little TX blues. It was one of the best gifts ever and it didn't even come in a little blue box! Happy Valentines Day, Honey. You are the best!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?