Friday, April 11, 2008

Ode To Fatness

I went back to the gym this morning.

It was the first time I've officially worked out in a gym since I was laughingly preparing for my wedding by going to the gym to be in shape for my Hawaiian honeymoon. What? You didn't realize I did that? You don't remember me going all the time and getting trim and fit and devastatingly handsome to wow the polynesian ladies of Maui?

Yeah, I don't remember it, either. But I'd say it's been roughly a year since a set foot in a gym.

I had to hitch a ride in to work today with a friend of mine here and he goes in at ungodly-early hours to work out at a gym connected to our office building. So I decided I was officially out of excuses and that I should just go with him and work out. Rather than, you know, pretend he was just giving me a ride in and that getting to my desk at 6:45 AM was normal.

I remember the sensation of working out... and it kind of sucks. And I only feel really good about it during the hour or so after I shower and head into the office. I feel energized, I don't feel like a slug and I feel productive and focused. And then, a short time later, my body remembers that I got up at 5:30 in the morning.

I'm certainly not "old" by any means, but a am a decade older than a person I manage... and can a decade make a difference in your ability to do things? Sure. The mind can achieve what the body can concieve? Not necessarily.

I remember pushing myself at the gym back when I actually used to go... maybe 2002 was the last time I went with regularity. And I turned 27 that year. I don't think I necessarily pushed myself real hard this morning, but the sad (very sad) part is that.... well... you know how normally after a hard workout, your body really "feels it" the next day? Well, I felt it by about 11 AM.

My muscles hurt, my legs and arms are achy. I imagine I will need my wife to pull me out of bed tomorrow morning.

I hope to continue with this, though, because, really... being fat is funny sometimes and makes for good jokes when I get together with my co-editors at Boiled Sports... but it's no way to go though life. Dean Wormer told me that.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?