Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Deep In The Hearrrt...of New Jersey!

Last week, I went back to NJ for the first time since I left it in my rear-view mirror on December 26. More than four months away from my home state, which is the longest I've been out of New Jersey since my last year of college in 1999. And even then, I'm not sure I ever went four months without being back.

Watersyne had gone up a week earlier so Maya and I had the run of the house to ourselves. I chose to be a good husband and spent the entire weekend without my wife working on our garage -- it's finally in some semblence of an order, with shelving up on the walls, hooks holding our random softball, golf and ski bags, and almost all tools and bins in their proper places. Having no basement means we still have a lot of crap that prevents us from getting two cars into the garage, but we're getting a lot closer.

So last week, I went up to NJ on Wednesday night and stayed under Monday morning. On Thursday evening, I got to see the Rangers lone win in their second-round series against the Pittsburgh Penguins. And, yeah, New Yorkers are still obnoxious. I found myself being my old impatient self as I pushed through the crowd of people at the Garden and in Penn Station. The NY experience didn't end there, as on Friday night we went to Yankee Stadium for perhaps our last official visit. I don't know if I'll get a chance again this year and it's the final year for the Stadium, so it had to be done. Of course, it was 45 degrees, windy and drizzly on our night, but it was still fun. I was sent looking for knishes by Watersyne -- something we know they sell there -- but I was utterly unsuccessful.

I had smashed my knee on a metal thingie on the train on our way into the city earlier, so hoofing it all around Yankee Stadium searching for knishes was rather...irritating. Every clown I asked told me to go to a different place and none of them were right. It made me want to go back and punch each of these mouth-breathers in the face. Eventually, I got a text message from my buddy who was there with us that said, "They have knishes at Shea." Nice.

After the game, we rode the subway back to where my friend's car was parked and headed home. So we got our fill of NJ Transit trains (from which my knee still hurts), NYC subways, NYC people, and NY sporting events for one weekend. I think we're good on those for now.

On Saturday, we had a communion to attend and then Sunday was our last day in town. We're now back in the heart of Tejas and enjoying the 82 degree weather.

That's the update. It's kind of like a rental car: It's not fancy, but it's all you get.

Labels: , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?