Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Italia

Last year, my job required me to go to Paris for a couple of days, similar to in 2005. So I checked into my frequent flyer miles and, despite the fact that we were less than two months before our wedding, Watersyne tagged along and got to see Paris for a mere 100,000 frequent flyer miles. Not bad, when you consider my flight and the hotel are paid for by the company. We had a great time and saw all the touristy sights -- which is good, because that's fun to do in Paris, seeing the Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, Siene River, Louvre, Notre Dame Cathedral, etc. We loved it.

Well, turns out, this year I have to go back again. So this will be my third springtime visit to Paris since 2005. Which means I've seen enough of Paris. I'm beginning to know the subway system better than I know New York's. Don't get me wrong, I do like the city and it's a great city to walk in and to sit at sidewalk cafes and drink wine. But since I'm going back, we thought maybe we should look into a way to make this kind of an early anniversary trip.

So now, after three days in Paris, we're hopping a flight over to Venice and we're staying there for four nights.

I know, I know, how posh of us. Spending the weekend in Venice!

The best part of it is the way it's working out financially, so I just have to share.

Obviously, my round-trip flight to Paris is covered by work. As is our hotel in Paris. Watersyne's round-trip to Paris is going to only cost me 75,000 miles this time, despite being further away. Then we pay for our hour-long flight over to Venice from Paris. However, my lovely wife has several hundred thousand hotel points because of all her hotel stays as part of her old job in New York, so we're staying at a Crowne Plaza for... nothing! Just reward points! We felt like our luck was kind of incredible. Essentially, all we're on the hook for is our $370 round trip flights from Paris to Venice.

So what does this mean? Well, we're doing Paris and Venice for less than $800. Of course, we'll more than make up for it in restaurants in Venice, methinks.

Labels: , ,


Comments:
Damn right we will make up for it. We will be visiting the home land and I plan on drinking wine and eating some sort of macaroni the entire time...Oh yeah, and Paris isn't so bad either. I already know the mall I want to go to shop in!
 
i am more impressed witht he fact that you have over 175,000 points for flights.
 
X - once you make Elite (as you may recall from your Elite days as a China-traveler), your points multiply like rabbits. Plus I have a Continental Mastercard. Plus most rental car places will give you 200-500 miles for renting with them. Plus I have tons of AmEx points I transfer over sometimes b/c I think they're most valuable as miles. So it adds up.

Also, I'm a jet-setting globetrotter so there's always that.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?