Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Sand Between the Toes

We're back in the heart of Tejas after our ten day adventure to the Northeast. And less than 48 hours ago, I was walking in the surf on the beach on Long Beach Island in NJ, getting my last feel of the water and the beach for at least a year, I figure.

As I strolled along for the last time, I had all sorts of thoughts back to those same walks each summer when I was a kid. Heading up to the beach one last time to say goodbye to the ocean and the beach for the season. And I felt the same wistfulness, about how much I love it there and how much I truly feel relaxed there.

Sitting on the Southern-style front porch of the beach house, drinking the morning coffee, hearing the crashing of the ocean and feeling that sea breeze.... it's just something I will never tire of. I imagine living in San Diego or the beach communities of L.A. could provide something similar, but if you're doing it every single day, it stops being special.

My trips to my childhood beach area always bring back awesome memories and continue creating new ones. And no matter how many times I walk on that beach, it just never gets old to me.

This time around, my lovely wife's sisters and their kids (and mom) came along for the week. So it was a bigger group but the best part was that it was all new to them. They'd never been to that community or experienced the things we all love about it... and they couldn't stop talking about wanting to come back to the same place. You never run out of things to do but at the same time it doesn't feel sleazy like the boardwalk locations in Jersey (Seaside Heights, Wildwood, Pt. Pleasant, Belmar, etc.). It's a family atmosphere, but with fun nightlife, too, should you decide to check it out.

We'll possibly try out other locations in future years as a growing family.... possibilities include Ocean City, Maryland and the Outer Banks of North Carolina. But I know that I will never tire of heading back to my favorite vacation place along the southern coast of New Jersey.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?