Wednesday, August 13, 2008

99 Holes of Golf In A Week, 99 Holes of Golllllllf...

Yes, so that was the most golf I've ever played in a week. And you know, the theory that you have to play a lot in order to get better was tested and I have to say I agree with it. While my hands were getting raw (insert masturbation joke here) by the end of it, I definitely was hitting the ball more consistently and working out some of the kinks. I even shot a 44 on the front nine of my dad's course on Saturday which is by FAR the best I've ever done there.

The reason for all this was that I played in an invitational event at my father's club this past weekend where we played against other teams in our "flight" of six teams. This meant five, 9-hole matches. So we did a practice round on Thursday (18 holes), then three 9-hole matches on Friday (27 holes) and two more 9-hole matches on Saturday (18 holes). Plus, I played 18 with some buddies on Sunday before leaving NJ. Oh, and I had played 36 the weekend prior to this on my course in order to stay sharp. So that's 99 holes in about a week. Not sure if I'll ever duplicate that.

I even walked 45 of them on the weekend... 18 in the Thursday practice round, 9 on Friday and all 18 on Saturday. I expected to be ready to collapse or to be sore as can be... but aside from some normal stiffness in the ol' back and legs, I felt great. Going out and playing another 18 on Sunday -- and playing well -- only made me wish I could do this every week.

After the event at my pop's club, there is a raffle for some really nice prizes. And I never win raffles of anything. Well, I'm in the locker room after my shower and I can hear over the PA the names being pulled and there's my name as the winner of a driver. Holy crap. My dad and I had already won some cash and a crystal bowl for finishing second overall in our flight and now I had a new, $500 driver! And five minutes later, as they're pulling names for 3-woods.... it's me again! Now I'm up to about $700 worth of equipment.

I also bet on a guy (there's a fair amount of semi-illegal betting going on) to win his flight because I knew and liked him and almost nobody else did.... so I won $166 on a $10 bet. I also took home four golf shirts, a hat and a wind jacket, all as prizes, raffles or gift bag items.

All in all, a terrific golf-related week. I guess I'll keep playing.

Labels: , ,


Comments:
With all of the practice, you should be shooting well...rich boy.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?