Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Please Stop Singing

Let's get right to the point -- I hate "Happy Birthday." Not the act of wishing a happy birthday, but the song.

There are multiple theories on who actually wrote the lyrics, and pretty much all of the people who are potentially responsible are long since dead, so I don't have anyone to beat to death with a lead pipe over this. But I really hate Happy Birthday.

I think it's mainly because I feel like it's a song for children. Children enjoy birthdays and having the song sung to them, etc. Adults don't. Or they shouldn't, anyway, if they're really adults. It's a childish song, and having someone like my dad singing to you is just.... weird. It's always an awkward exercise, made especially so when your mother-in-law or co-worker is singing to you. Where else might this happen? I mean, seriously, when else might Jenny in the next cubicle be singing to you? (Well, get a few drinks in her first, maybe...)

I think what also bothers me is that it's a stupid tradition that has turned into something of a superstition to people at this point. You have to sing "Happy Birthday"! You just have to! This was basically the explanation my lovely wife gave me when I was bitching about it one time and asking why it's necessary. She really didn't have an answer... just that it's what we do. Even when it's just a group of adults in the room? Come on.

If it's a little kid's birthday, then by all means. Let's sing. I'll even participate. But if it's my birthday? Ah, no. I'll be 34 effing years old this year. I'm not a toddler. I don't need a song sung to me on my birthday.

In fact, what I want for my birthday more than anything is a moratorium on singing that infernal song.

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?